A bronze oakleaf worn on the ribbon of the primary campaign medal of each period of war, denotes a mention in despatches of the recipient. Instituted by King George V in 1920.
On 2 February 1944 His Majesty King George VI approved of the wearing of an emblem to denote mention in despatches. Australian General Routine Order A announced that the emblem would be worn by all personnel who had been “mentioned” one or more times in military despatches during the 2nd World War by a commander in the field.
The emblem is a new design worn on the War Medal, different from that used for World War One and is in the form of a single oak leaf in bronze.